My oldest son loves chocolate chips in cookies, pancakes, scones…pretty much anything and everything. So whenever I make any baked goods, he asks if I can swap I out the fruit for chocolate. Since most of my baked goods usually have less sugar, this is one indulgence I don’t feel too bad about. After testing a few muffin recipes, I came up I with one that is super-moist but still crunchy on the top, just the way he likes it. This is my son’s favorite muffin and he asked me to post the recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as he does. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Chocolate Muffins
2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cut into 16 cubes
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of good quality chocolate chips (dark or semi-sweet)
Crystallized sugar for topping
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and milk.
5. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add the butter and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat for 2 more minutes. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
6. Add one egg and beat well. Scrape the bottom with a rubber spatula. Add the other egg and beat well. Scrape the bottom with a rubber spatula. Add the vanilla extract and beat for 15 seconds.
7. Adjust the speed to low, then add the sour cream and milk mixture. Beat for 15 seconds.
8. Add the chocolate chips to the flour mixture. Give it a quick whisk and slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer on its lowest setting until they just combine. Remove the bowl and using a rubber spatula, scrape the bottom and give it a couple of stirs.
9. With a large ice cream scoop, add the batter to each of the cupcake liners.
10. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of crystallized sugar on top of each muffin.
11. Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
12. Set the oven on broil. Broil the muffins for 1-2 minutes until you get a nice golden muffin top.