I enjoy a good granola bar from time to time, especially when I am in a hurry and don’t have time for breakfast. It’s also great for an afternoon snack when you’re on the run. Store-bought granola bars tend to have too much sugar and unnecessary preservatives, though, so I prefer to I bake my own, which lets me control the sugar and also use the best ingredients. This oat bar recipe has dried cranberries, sliced almonds, coconut, coconut oil and other healthy ingredients. The egg white helps bind all the dry ingredients. This recipe is relatively easy as long as you have everything in front of you, as you should be able to assemble these granola bars in less than 30 minutes. They are perfect to pack in your kid’s lunchbox or to wrap up and keep one in your bag. Enjoy!
Cranberry-Almond Oat Bars
Yield: 2 dozen
2 3/4 cups of quick cooking rolled oats, like McCann’s
1/2 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons of flax seeds
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of flaky sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
3/4 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup of sliced almonds, toasted*
1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup of coconut oil, melted
1 egg white, beaten until foamy
1. Heat the oven to 325°. Spray 13 x 9 aluminum baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Add the oats, flour, flax seeds, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir well with a fork.
3. Stir in the dry cranberries and almonds.
4. Whisk the honey, light brown sugar and coconut oil in a small bowl, until well blended.
5. Pour the honey mixture over the dry mixture and mix well with a rubber spatula. Then fold in the beaten egg whites.
6. Pour into the greased baking pan and press down evenly until nice and firm.
Place pan in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until nice golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and let it cool on a wire rack until cool.
8. With a serrated knife, cut into 24 squares.
9. Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
*To toast sliced almonds, place them in a 350° oven for 5 minutes. Let the almonds cool completely before using.